May 27, 20118 comments
The 92,000-hour challenge is a personal branding exercise that was birthed at Brand Camp – NYC on Tuesday, May 24th as a method to get people (Human Brands) to re-think our life work (or what we were designed to do.)
What’s the significances of 92,000 hours?
The average person lives 78 years in the United States, which translates, to 683,200 hours that a person will live. Many people are starting to eat healthy and working out so many individuals will live beyond the average life expectancy. The two biggest activities a person will engage in, in their life is sleeping and working.
If a person works from age 21 until age 65 and works 40-hours per week they will work 92,000 hours. The data shows us that the average person will work past age 65 and works more than 40-hours per week. So the number 92,000 hours really represents the minimum number of hours that a person will work in their life.
How the Challenge Works/Requirements
Here is how the 92,000-hour challenge works. For the next 30-days, starting June 1, 2011 we are going to work on fleshing out our life purpose by creating a bucket list.
- Identify an Accountability Partner: You must identify an accountability partner. Your accountability partner will help to keep you accountable to following through.
- Get Listed: Add your name to the 92,000-hour challenge Google Doc list. The purpose is to develop a community of people that will be catalyst who will help us better understand what we were designed to do (optional) - (Must Request Access to be included on the list)
- Use the Hashtag: Use the hashtag #92khrs when you share your content in Twitter so that we can track comments.
- Create Weekly Blog Post: Each week you are required to publish at least one blog post whether it is video or text and share it via Twitter with the hashtag #92khrs.
- Create a Bucket List: The output is to create a bucket list of things that you believe that you would like to spend your 92,000 hours doing.
Weekly Blog Post Topics
- Topic #1- When I Grow Up: Create a list of what you wanted to be when you grew up! Identify the dreams you had when you were younger before people grown ups told you your dreams were not possible.
- Topic #2- Skill Set: Identify your skill sets and create a skill set inventory (This is not a list of things that you do on your current job.)
- Topic #3- Idea Job Description: Create your idea job description and work environment. Think about this from the perspective of being your own boss.
- Topic #4- Side Project: Create a side project that you could work on to give you some real world experience doing what you dreamed off.
Launch Date: Wednesday, June 1, 2011
End Date: Friday, July 1, 2011
Why are we doing this in a public domain? The reason is to make you and me more accountable. Making a public statement creates positive peer pressure and will help us stay committed to following through for the next 30-days of the challenge.
Please leave a comment if you plan on participating in the 92,000 hr personal branding challenge.
Add your name to the 92K Hours Challenge List in Google Docs: http://bit.ly/92khrs_list (Must Request Access by clicking the link)