On Saturday, February 27th I had the opportunity to teach a social media session, “Closing the Digital Divide” for @PowerOrgMATH who conducted an on-site workshop for students and parents in the Columbus Ohio area. One of the best parts of this session is that I was able to participate from Michigan via Skype . Based upon my positive experience I thought I would post a blog about ‘Personal Branding with Skype’.
Historically I haven’t been a heavy Skype user. My recent usage of this tool has exposed me to the significant personal branding opportunities. The power of this tool is not that it gives you that cool Jetson type feel, but its ability to connect people in different locations while providing a face-to-face interaction real-time.
Understand it is a free tool and you are only as good as your internet connection and hardware.
Skype Basic Set-Up
To get started download the free-of-charge Skype software. You will need to set-up a profile, have access to an internet connection and some basic hardware: laptop/desktop computer/mobile device, web cam, headset, and recording software (the recording software is only required for recording audio and/or video).
• Skype Handle - I recommend establishing a Skype handle (which is your number or contact) using a name that is consistent with your other social network profiles. (My Skype handle is ‘HajjFlemings’ which is my real name).
• Avatar – Use the consistent avatar that you used across all of your social networks (actual photo).
• Bio – Brief bio that should be consistent with your other social networks.
If you are a high profile person, celebrity, or have stalker concerns use a Skype handle and profile that is appropriate and safe for you.
Web Cams – Only required if video is being enabled. One of the best web cams is the Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000.
Headset –The headset is strongly recommended for recording purposes. The biggest factor that will go into the type of headset you will need is the type of device you will using (desktop computer, laptop, or smartphone). I would recommend you doing some research. I personally have a Plantronics.
Recording Software – The personal branding value is maximized when the video functionally is ultiized. To record you have to download a third party application.
I have listed a few different options.
• Vodburner (PC Only)
• Call Recorder for Macs
• Screenflow – Screenflow is a screencasting software that can be used to capture the video is a cool application that a friend of mind Henry Balanon swears by.
Personal Branding Value:
In the example I used I was able to extend my reach to a group of educators that were outside of my network with no cost to me except my time.
Products that can be produced from Skype
• Audio Podcasts
• Video Podcasts
• Video Interviews
• Workshop Presentations
Value Provided By Using Skype
• Extend your network
• Extend your reach
• Reinforces your relevance in the new media space.
• Its FREE!!! It saves you money and time.
• Sharable content if recorded, uploaded and linked to.
I hope this short blog post opened up your eyes to the possibilities of using Skype as a personal branding tool. Please share your thoughts in the comments section about how you have used Skype as a personal branding tool.